March 13, 2013

Pitcher perfect

I've been known to opine that I'm a hothouse flower.
But when I actually visit a hothouse, I realize I could never, ever subject
myself to the torpid conditions under which the world's most
showy, beautiful, and sometimes downright strange
tropical plants flourish. 

While in Sarasota, I took a trip, literally and figuratively, through 
the Marie Selby Botanical Gardens. 
As it was a grey, chilly day, we started with the hothouse.

There might as well have been a sign flashing at the entrance:
Orchid alert! 
To which I would have added the modifier "psychedelic," because
most of these orchids were no shrinking violets.


Giving a shout out to, well, everyone!

  

All dressed up and nowhere to go, except this darn hothouse.



It's Florida, I can be as yellow as I want.

   

Lily Pulitzer pink -- I swear I saw a dress in this color in one of her stores on Long Key.
Mamma mia, people would see you coming from a mile away!



 My personal favorites were some of the quieter flowers. Like this shy,
bespeckled, violet pansy orchid, 
which looks as if it's taking a little bow.



This magnificent creature seems ready to take flight -- or maybe
it's reaching the high note in an aria from La Boheme.


Having an orchid party in the corner -- everyone had to wear something white.



As with every hothouse species, there are a few very odd fellows  
sprinkled in here and there. Tell me this doesn't look a bit like a wasp
Or a spider. Or maybe even a fighter plane. 



But this was my favorite--the "pitcher plant." While it looks
like something a cowboy might be hitching to his saddle, it actually
is an insect trap. And yes, it is big.

 
I don't remember what this is, but it looks sweet and shy. 
Which means it's probably poisonous.  


Walking out of the hothouse, everything suddenly looked dreary. Until we got to the koi pond.
Boy, were these guys hungry! Can you see the open mouths above the water line?
As soon as I walked over, they were begging for food.
Unfortunately, I had already had lunch.


Dazzled by all that color, I realized that hothouses can be inspirations
for hot designs. How else would we be seeing wild fashions like these?

Marc Jacobs, photo by ImaxTree


Oscar de la Renta, photo by ImaxTree

Vivienne Westwood, via Pinterest

Next up: a stunning Piedmont estate. 



-->
© 2013 by A Silken Swoon. All rights reserved. All photos, unless otherwise noted, by Eileen of A Silken Swoon.



No comments:

Post a Comment