March 8, 2013

Ca D'Zan, Part II

Let's see...where were we?

Oh yes, Sarasota-by-the-Bay, or The Ringlings Do It Right.
For do it right they did, down to the very last intricately molded hinge,
exotic marble tile, and gleaming nickel faucet.

Ca D'Zan's bedrooms, in the style of the day, were rather small and simple
in comparison to the splendor downstairs. But not too small or simple.
You just couldn't fit a 30,000-pipe organ that cost a cool $1 million
into the guest bedroom, that's all.

As we came up the marble staircase, we seemed to have made a transition
from Italy to France, far quicker than Alitalia could have done.
John Ringling's bedroom features a pair of Napoleonic beds
(what is it with rich men and Napoleon?)...




...and his bathroom contains the requisite marble bathtub 
carved from one piece of stone. 

I would like to know--did they have cranes in 1925?
If not, I shudder to think of what it took to get this tub up the stairs.
Imagine trying to get a grip on a few thousands pounds of marble!



Monsieur's closet, with some snappy, Tom Wolfe-like attire, perfect
for those warm Florida winters.



And, from John Ringling's window, a glimpse of the stunning 
terrace and bay.


 Breezing down the hallway. Literally all of the windows in this house were
constructed of leaded glass with large, tinted panes of 
soft gold, green, and rose, which created the magical effect of a 
perpetual indoor sunset. I don't know about you, but this would put me
in a good mood pretty much all of the time.



Mabel Ringling's intimate boudoir. This room didn't do a whole lot for me,
but oh, her private bath! There is room for rapture in there.





A delicately painted panel on a closet door. There were, if I remember
correctly, four or five of these.





I believe this was a guest bath. Now, I  would never choose to do a bathroom
with violet tiles, but I wouldn't turn this one down, either.
Note the marble toilet seat. I'm speechless.





And now we get to perhaps the best part of this property, the 
many-kinds-of-marble rear terrace that stretches beguilingly out into 
glittering Sarasota Bay.


Walking along the promenade, I expected to hear a gondolier's voice at any moment.



After a great deal of sighing over the beauty of it all, I walked down the steps
to where the waves were gently lapping at the very solid shore. 
This is where the Ringlings docked their 125-foot yacht. 
Nice going, John and Mabel!



Really, imagine the parties you could hold here. I'm thinking of that scene in
Sabrina where the guests are in ball gowns and tuxes, dancing under
the stars.

 I leave you with this humble image from the kitchen 
(sorry, I'm obsessed).
Doesn't it just make you want to pound a chicken breast into submission?


                      



(c) 2013 A Silken Swoon. All rights reserved. Photography by Eileen and property of A Silken Swoon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment