March 25, 2013

Piedmont Estate, Part II

For those of you who wish you had just a little more space in your home, I present you with the statistics on the Piedmont estate home I toured a couple of weeks ago: 21 rooms, including eight bedrooms, seven bathrooms, and a six-car garage. 
 8,677 square feet.

Now, by today's standards, this is not even a really big house. I went to a party a couple of years ago where one guest remarked casually that his home was over 13,000 square feet. Astonished, I asked him what he did with all that space. He was equally astonished at my question. 
"My wife and I use every inch," he replied.

There are many thousands of wonderful inches to recline and relax in here. Including a number of rooms you could call studies, libraries, dens, or family rooms. 


Bookshelves, comfy chairs, lots of natural light. The perfect spot for tea in the afternoon.


That is one busy coffee table!



This looks like a make-out corner for the teenagers in the family.



One small corner of the real library.

Now we get to some of the bedrooms and bathrooms. I believe this is the master, which looks small, but it isn't. I'm still waiting for my new camera with the wide-angle lens.



A pretty dressing table. Probably part of the master suite, but when you walk through 21 rooms, you get a bit dazed and confused. Which is my way of saying, I'm not really sure.
 

 

Now this I have no trouble remembering. It's the master bath, and it was downright breathtaking. Nothing like a room full of gleaming marble surfaces to start your day off on the right foot. You can look out the window and watch the fog rolling in over the bay.



A big old tub opposite the sink. I hope this is the original--those 1920s tubs are so beautiful with their rounded edges and deco-era trim. 



This sweet girl's bedroom was surprisingly sophisticated. Love the pink curtains!



And then there were a series of guest bedrooms, which all looked very much like this one. Sign me up for a month in this house!




As I walked through room after room after room (remember, there were 21 of them!) I wondered, who lived in this house, and for how long? I could not find a sales history, but judging from the incredibly low property taxes, I'd say it's been owned by the same family for decades. I like to think it was a big family, with children and dogs running down the long hallways, and Thanksgiving dinner for 25 in that big dining room (minus the balls on the table). 

I don't know why, but I didn't notice the gorgeous door knocker until I was leaving. Purely decorative, because you'd never be able to hear anyone knocking if you were in study #4, or guest bedroom #7.



But then, you'd have Carson to answer it for you, right?
   



  © 2013 by A Silken Swoon. All rights reserved. All photos, unless otherwise noted, by Eileen of A Silken Swoon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment