February 10, 2013

Going to the birds

Did you know that there are nine different types of bird's nests? That not all 
bird species build and use nests? 

Here's something that probably won't come as a surprise: most nests are built by female birds, with an occasional bit of help from the male. (Here, honey, I brought you a twig. Don't say I didn't do anything.) 

I didn't know any of these things when the shy young man who was clearing out 
some brush in my yard brought me three beautiful bird's nests, cradled delicately 
in his big hands. "They're from your trees," he said. "I though maybe you would 
want to keep them?"

I most certainly did. Enchanted, I took them in and gave them a home. 
And, in that way the universe has of sending you the things you put your attention to, 
suddenly I was finding bird's nests all over the place.

Like this charming adobe-style home for robins:



And this messy, twiggy salad bowl:


Notice the dried hydrangea petals in there -- obviously some serious attention 
was paid to decorating.


This amazing creation is called a pendant nest.
Do you think there was some conversation about this one? Like, "You call that moss? 
That's not moss. Go take a look at what's growing on the water tower on North Main. That's moss. And bring some back, please."


Here's a nest that looks like a nautilus.
Notice the elegant bit of string woven in on one side.
 
  In case you're wondering, it feels like a sock that's been 
put in the wash many, many times, without any fabric softener. 
Seriously, can you imagine the hard work and dedication that went into building this?
(And I have to sit down at just the mere thought of repainting my living room.)

Just so you know...no birds were harmed during the writing of this post. All of these nests were empty and abandoned when I found them. 

   

No comments:

Post a Comment